I found an old coffee can filled with old recipes that my great-grandmother used from the 1920's through the 1970's. While I have yet to actually try any, I hope to this coming summer, as there are a LOT of recipes for preserves. Some of these recipes are handwritten, and many are torn from newspapers and magazines. Please enjoy, and let me know if you try any!

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Squaw Dish

Fry six thin strips of bacon and remove to warm platter. In the bacon grease scramble six eggs very slowly. As soon as they begin to thicken the least bit, add 1 cupful canned corn, 1 1/2 teaspoonfuls salt, and 1/2 teaspoonful pepper. When the eggs are done, put in a mound on platter and arrange bacon around the edges. Chopped green pepper, fried a few minutes in the bacon grease before adding the eggs, improves this dish.

Effie M. Hudson
Muskegon county, Michigan

4 comments:

Sara said...

My Mom used to make this exact same dinner, and I'm sure she got it from her mother who was raised in North Dakota. It's a great supper when you are running low on groceries.

Carolina HeartStrings said...

Treasure these found recipes. I have but a few family ones and love vintage recipes. You are so lucky. And finding them in a coffee can. How perfect is that?

SUMMERSTEAD said...

Sara - I think this was a good depression dish, especially for those who were able to keep their farms going.

Carolina - My mom and I were soooo excited when we found these! I have a LOT more, but have been sadly neglecting this blog. I'll have to change that after next week (getting ready to put on a haunted house, so I have very little free time)!

Kathy Robbins said...

This sounds really good!