I found an old coffee can filled with old recipes that my great-grandmother used from the 1920's through the 1970's. While I have yet to actually try any, I hope to this coming summer, as there are a LOT of recipes for preserves. Some of these recipes are handwritten, and many are torn from newspapers and magazines. Please enjoy, and let me know if you try any!

Friday, March 6, 2009

Easy Dill Pickles

9 cupfuls of water
1 cupful of salt
2 cupfuls of vinegar
Dill

Place the water, salt, and vinegar in a kettle. Let heat to scalding point, but do not boil. Pour over large cucumbers which have been quartered lengthwise and packed in sterilized jars. To each quart jar allow 1 medium-sized head of dill. Place the dill in the top of jar and seal. Store in a cool place for 6 weeks before using. A tiny piece of garlic or onion may be added to each jar if desired.

Mrs. C. W., Mich.
(From Successful Farming magazine, dated September 1930)

No comments: