I found an old coffee can filled with old recipes that my great-grandmother used from the 1920's through the 1970's. While I have yet to actually try any, I hope to this coming summer, as there are a LOT of recipes for preserves. Some of these recipes are handwritten, and many are torn from newspapers and magazines. Please enjoy, and let me know if you try any!

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Fruit Pie Pastry

When making custard, cream, or lemon pies, use either orange or lemon juice, making your pie crust the usual way but use orange or lemon juice instead of water and add 1/4 teaspoon lemon or orange rind grated and 1 tablespoon sugar. This makes fine flavored pastry.

If you have fresh buttermilk, use 2 cups of the mild to make a buttermilk custard pie just as you would custard pie. I always add 3 tablespoons of flour, sifted with the sugar that I use, in making both custard and buttermilk pies.

C.D.W
(Submitted to Capper's Weekly, which is still in publication today.)

No comments: